And an even better one tomorrow.

I've started leaving my house to write.

I'm so accustomed to hunkering down in my own office, among my own clutter and filth and sounds and interruptions that sitting down to write has become stale and stiff.

So now, one day a week, I settle into a table at Starbucks or Panera or in the cozy chair in my husband's office with my macbook, a notebook, and a hot drink. I write whatever I feel inspired to write that day - my only plans to get some words from my brain to a page and to only allow distractions that inspire.

Meaning...no Facebook, no Instagram. But people watching? Cloud studying? Aroma sniffing? Not only okay, but encouraged.

I collect stories and ideas this way, and today was one of my favorites.

Writing in Starbucks

And older man, maybe in his 70's, sat with a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich at the table across from mine at Starbucks. I noticed that every time someone sat down, they all sat in the same direction which would leave our backs to each other. You know, so we didn't risk having to make eye contact. This guy sat facing me and so everyone else, and I love that he was not afraid of acknowledging the rest of us.

He was super friendly and chatty - asking every patron and barista about the music (which he loved). He asked questions about what the heck Spotify was, and told me about his favorite station on XM that he calls elevator music. He asked for help connecting to the wifi on his phone, and joked that the cell phone store was out of the free 10 year olds that come with smart phones to help you understand what you're doing.

As he sat reading his paper and tapping his foot to the crooner music, I thought about what brought him to Starbucks for his breakfast this morning. I wondered if he started many mornings this way, and if maybe it just gives him something to do with his day. A simple way to stay busy.

Usually I see bunches of seniors at Tim Hortons (maybe Starbucks isn't their preferred coffee), so it was interesting that he chose here. I love to think about people's personalities and the factors that lead them to the simple choices they make.

It reminded me of a time when I took Henry to Hortons after a Rolly Pollies (gym) class to get a donut pre-gluten-free-era. There was a table of older men just sipping black coffee with the lids off, a newspaper scattered around the table while they chatted. I called Henry's name, and three of the men looked up. That memory has always made me laugh.

So in Starbucks today - after enjoying this man's super sweet nature and that cute older man way about him (as though just having breakfast in a Starbucks with the right kind of music was the greatest blessing around), I was a little sad to see him go. When he got up to leave he said to me, "You have a great day now, and an even better one tomorrow." 

It was sweet and unexpected and I love that he had his own little surprise catch phrase. I adore it. I love that he sends well-wishes deeper into the future than just on the day he's in. People say those canned phrases so often that their sincerity gets a little lost. He didn't just say it to fill silence or to be a little polite. He meant it.

May we all genuinely wish others well so sincerely.

On this day, I learned 3 lessons for the next time I write on location: bring a dang sweater, grab some napkins to use as a coaster, and stay aware of and open to interacting with everyone - especially little old men.

Comments