Blue Hydrangeas.

hydrangea-1502613_1920


My husband has given me a lot of flowers in our 13+ years together.

You might think that's a lazy, typical gesture, but then you wouldn't know me very well. I LOVE flowers. Like, luuuhhhh-uuuvve. I am in awe of the blind, dutiful existence and magic in all things that grow. Have you ever watched a seed transition into an intricate bloom? You should - that is life source in action.

What I love about my husband's flower gifting is his style. He knows what I like, but he also looks for things that fit seasons, occasions, and even my moods. It is wild how he can just NAIL it every time.

Untitled


He came home with a bouquet for me yesterday, and I was immediately struck by the sprawling blue center. Hydrangeas! A big, blue bunch of them, right in the middle! Be still my heart. I love Hydrangeas something fierce - the blues, the purples, the pinks - the big, bold bunches of them buried in sprawling foliage.

Their smell! Their beautiful spring smell.

The second life they give you when you dry them out.

Untitled


Before he brought this bouquet home, I had been thinking about Hydrangeas.

There's a spot in our front landscaping that would be best suited for something that grows vertically and can handle a fair amount of shade. I was hoping Hydrangeas could work there, knowing we could really groom them however we wanted and loving the cottagey feel it would bring to our curb appeal.

I was so in love with the idea that I called Matt at work to see if he'd thought about putting Hydrangeas in this spot and if he knew if they'd grow well there or not. He didn't know for sure, but thought he remembered asking when he originally planned the landscaping with an artist but got iffy responses. So he didn't write the idea off, but suggested we try to grow them in the backyard, where there's endless sunlight to be had.

Our chat went onto ideas with birdbaths and lavender, and installing a bluebird house between the trees, but I still had hydrangeas on my mind.

springflowers


In the afternoon, I was struck with post-vacation motivation. I'd grocery shopped before picking up the kids, and for whatever reason I was inspired to scrub the entire fridge before putting food away. So I did all of that, unloaded the dishwasher, hand washed a few pots and pants, emptied and washed many food storage containers after tossing lots of old leftovers, baked a batch of healthy muffins because we had 3 bananas going bad, picked up my kids' mess, made dinner, ate it with my family, and then cleaned up dinner.

Matt stepped outside for a minute, and he came back in with this big, sprawling, beautiful bouquet (with the blue hydrangea center) and said that he was trying to save them for later, but I'd made it look and feel so springy and beautiful in the house that he wanted me to have them right away.

Untitled


He'd gotten them when he stopped at Trader Joes that morning....at 8am. A solid 5 hours before our conversation about hydrangeas.

Magic and love at play again. xo

Comments