There you are, beauty. What took you so long?

I love it, sort of fiercely, when the sun shines on snow. Maybe it's the contrast of winter, and what we associate with warmer days, but there's something beautiful about it.

As if the snowfall isn't gorgeous enough, the earth goes on to play with it. Drifts, and shadows; swirls and clumps. This is where the beauty is. This is why winter felt so endless and daunting until now - it was hiding its beauty from us.







This is where winter's heart lies. Shadows on snow piles, cookies in the oven, warm blankets and socks. I feel blessed with it. Giddy, almost. Maybe for the freshness - for the blessing of this beauty. But also for the contrast. Contrast is so lovely, isn't it!

Looking out my window to see a frozen carpet, knowing next week I will look out a window to see palm trees and lizards skittering up stucco walls. What a blessing it is to see both sides so quickly, so clearly.

Watching my kids pack snowballs, build hills to sled down, bundled up like cartoon plush animals is a thrill - knowing next week, they'll be outfitted in swim trunks and sunscreen, doggy paddling from the center of inter tubes and asking for another ride on the golf cart.







Flaunt your beauty, earth.
Speak up, show your face, and I swear I will never fail to see your worth.

Comments