When Yoga Meets Exercise.

Untitled


Vacation motivation - there's nothing quite like it. Stepping away from your life, and your home, and your things, and your habits and you can see it without gripping and more clearly grasp what needs to get done...maybe even how and why.

This is what I've come to value about taking trips. Near, far, quick, long. Leaving for a hot minute rearranges my view into one of gratitude and purpose.

That's what I've had running through my veins this week. Somehow, that translated into exercise. That is not a natural inclination of mine, so don't ask me how I got there...I'm just following the vibes.

My feeling is that after 5 days of wearing shorts, I noticed that yoga has given me some hidden definition. It's in there, when I move certain ways - but I don't see it in an obvious way because, well...I don't do anything else. I do yoga a couple times a week (only one of those times is for an extended amount of time), and while it has slowly trained my muscles in a certain way, that won't progress anywhere unless I make it so.

And, I don't know, I'm not particularly anxious or passionate about it. I like it when my legs feel more defined and sexy, but I'm not heartbroken when they're not. I'm not sure how else to explain it other than to say I'm within a happy weight range and so I can easily be content, but something sort of sparked me to want just a little bit more at the moment. And my lack of NEED for it is allowing it to just flow. Make sense?

workout


So anyway, I did a lot of crap yesterday - cleaning, scrubbing, organizing, reading, writing, brainstorming, planning. I wasn't sure when to fit in a workout, I just knew that I wanted to. It didn't end up happening until after the kids were in bed, but I did it. And I did it pretty hard. I was sweaty, and my legs were burning in the way I'd hoped they would, and I felt good. I slept good. I woke up good. And I liked it.

What's amazing me is that I'm not sore in the least. Maybe it's that yoga has given me that mini-definition with which to build on? Maybe it's because I know how to stretch well now since, I essentially stretch constantly thanks to yoga? Or maybe it was that...I know how to breathe now. Like, for real breathe-breathe.

It was a striking realization during my workout. Almost like I was watching myself do it from outside of my body. Yoga has me trained in breath - a very specific method of breathing, and also to rely on the breath in times of discomfort, confusion, hurt, pain, sadness and absolutely anything needing healing. When things started to get tough, I turned to my breath. I used the yogic qualities of breathing to get me through hard moments, and I did it through the entire workout. It was unlike any exercise experience I'd ever had. And the most interesting part? I did it all without thinking about it. It came naturally to me....it just happened.

I love yoga. I love what it has done for my mind, my body, and my heart and soul. It is woven into my being in ways I never knew it could be.



Comments