A Donut Day



About a year ago, our family began our attempt to live without wheat products and gluten-laced foods to see if our oldest son's digestive system would heal and improve. He'd been sick for three years with no answers or solutions, and we were ready to try anything.

Living the gluten free life is sometimes difficult (particularly socially), but its rewards have been many. Our son's quality of life has vastly improved, and the rest of us have reaped benefits like flatter tummies, less intestinal unrest, weight loss, and clearer minds. It does mean that our grocery bill is higher, and that we miss out on a lot of treats...but every now and then, I try to indulge everyone with whatever we can.

This past weekend, the boys were talking wistfully about donuts and how much they missed having them. It had been a loooooong time. I actually have a donut maker that I got for $5 at a garage sale last year, but since going GF and trying to live more healthfully, I hadn't really thought about using it.

Untitled Untitled

I didn't have it planned ahead at all - I just heard the conversation happening in the other room, and started searching for gluten free donut recipes that included things we had on hand. Suddenly, I was a mad scientist in the kitchen - wiping up two different batters and working that donut machine like a waffle maker at a free continental breakfast.

I made a plain donut with this recipe (using maple sugar and coconut oil), and a chocolate donut with this recipe (also using coconut oil.)

For frosting, I put together a really simple chocolate one sort of off the cuff. I melted some butter, mixed in vanilla extract, stirred in some almond milk, heaped in powdered sugar, and once it was all combined, I popped it into the microwave with a handful of chocolate chips to melt into it. I also made a glaze that was even simpler - just powdered sugar, almond milk + vanilla.

Untitled Untitled

Then I just dipped and decorated, and the whole family jumped in on their chance to sprinkle things to their hearts' desire. When Matt left the room, I secretly made his favorite - a chocolate donut with coconut shavings glazed to the outside. He was so pleasantly surprised when I served them, it was cute.

We all sat together then, and had fun sampling the different combinations together and naming our favorites. Surprisingly? The simple chocolate glazed were everyone's favorite!

There's something about baking, isn't there? Putting effort and love into a treat and watching the enjoyment of your family - soaking in the the thank you!'s and the we DEFINITELY need to make this again!'s. Soul baking. This is when I feel hygge most clearly.

Comments