Weirdo Witch Doctor Mom.

One of the few advantages to the internet is the collective advancement of knowledge, especially where it pertains to well-being and self sufficiency.

Think of how many people can now learn infinite amounts of ideas, methods, and theories. That has got to mean we're experiencing an exponential growth in intelligence, and for that the internet and all of its addictive connectivity gets at least a little pass.

I'm certainly aggravated with the habits its given me (basically why I'm writing here rather than in any other place I've already established), but it's also given me a lot of goodness.

It gave me guidance on mothering my newborns that I wouldn't have come across otherwise, and that in turn gifted me with a beautiful, intentional, and present part of motherhood that is precious and fleeting. I mention that because it is, I think, the thing I am most grateful to the internet for, but it also lead me to much about health, happiness, and creativity, as well as the books that made those ideas permanent fixtures in my mind.

herbal-tea-1410565_1920


It made me laugh the other day, after I performed a string of holistic practices, that I'd become this person that turns to reflexology, oils, yoga, vitamins, and a specific diet to heal most of what ails my family. I mean, when did that start? How did it become my default?

I'm glad it has. It's just interesting....the things you don't notice becoming part of you.

The other day, my oldest told me he had been feeling "off-and-on dizzy", and the way he described it sounded a lot like the bouts of vertigo that happen to me for about a day, every 1-2 years. It's so strange, and I swear I can't at all feel it coming on, but then it strikes me down and I don't know (well, didn't) how to get out of it. It happened to me recently, and I faintly remembered hearing rumblings on the internet about how to clear the crystals in your inner ear that cause this feeling. I googled, found it, and tried it myself....and after a couple hours, I was better. I kneeled on the floor with my son on his dizzy day, showing him the moves from this method, and he was better shortly after, too.

Minutes after I was helping my son contort his way to wellness on the floor, my littlest guy started to have a coughing fit from the cold he'd been fighting. I sat him down in a chair, slathered eucalyptus on his chest, then used a little more to press and rub the reflexology points on his feet that are connected to his lungs. He giggled as I worked with his feet, but within minutes, he too was calm and feeling better.

They come to me for little things like this, because they know they are simple and painless and keep the doctors away and I love that.

We used a mixture of diet, supplements, and reflexology to heal my oldest from his symptoms of colitis. Which is my holistic crowning achievement that I am endlessly grateful for. After years of tests and scary (sometimes painful) procedures, he has peace in knowing there are other options.

Look, internet. You're not good for me, but you've also turned me into a weirdo witch doctor mom, and I will always be grateful to you for that.

Comments