Creative Light At a Vendor Show



I decided to do a vendor show at the very last minute last week. I had an unexpected flood of MJ interest right when I thought my time as a trunk keeper was coming to an end, and I had this opportunity open to me so I thought...okay, I'll do it while the flow is happening.

It was an inexpensive show, with a set up near my sister and an acquaintance from my kids' preschool, so why not. My success here was....well, it was whatever. I didn't make a single sale or book a single show, but I did hand out look books and business cards, so whatever. It was also a weekend day that preceded spring break, so I didn't feel like I missed out on a day off.

And honestly, I found a surprising payoff.

Inspiration and understanding.

Gah, I love to study people. I love to study their endeavors and their creative outlets and interpretations. Tiny little adjustments in time, place, mood, and circumstance means that two people can be making the same product and they emerge as totally different pieces. Magical.

The spirit, too. The way most of these vendors proudly displayed their work, sat with it all day, accepted compliments, presented their passion. It was a gorgeous energy to spend a day in.


I was situated directly across from a personal dessert business. Side note: when you make a stipulation about your diet, like that you are gluten free (which my family is), you don't feel any longing for things you "shouldn't" have because you know you just can't. Not an option, no big deal. I felt no pain. What I did feel, however, was inspiration. "I wonder if I could make similar things but just gluten free? Would anyone hire my baking for parties? Could I make a whole GF side business like that?"

On my left was a girl who made ultra-soft fleece and minky blankets and pillows for little ones. I looked at her patterns and sizes and variations and thought, "I wonder if I could handle doing something like that, but with my own twist. All florals and lace and tea party."

A few booths made jewelry, and I wondered how I could make it similar, but more like me. Another table shared tea blends and tiny tea pots, and I pictured myself there. Another made hand sewn totes, and I envisioned my colorful, gardeny versions.

When I had a few minutes to get away, I walked around and shopped the booths for myself. I found a lava bead charm necklace for loading up with essential oils, and another long, dangly necklace to dress up flowy outfits. I found a pair of smooth, pastel floral leggings (that shouted ME), and three wax melt bricks that all smelled faintly of lavender and springtime. Before I left, I won another pair of leggings, a basket of easter decorations, and a basket of beauty supplies. I may have spent and indulged more in this show than my business got out of it, but I left there feeling energized with the power of creation and exploration. My soul is so happy there!


I thought I was spending a (somewhat) useless day, woefully trying to make my business grow again, but what I found there was something else entirely. A spark of inspiration. Exposure to creative light. The magic of living on earth. Creation, beauty, excitement, pride, sharing. It was gorgeous.

Comments