Meditation Exploration Wk 3: Vipassana Meditation

I have been particularly intrigued by this type of meditation since the first time I've heard of it, so I cannot wait to commit a week to it finally! I personally think that this week's type is perfect for those of us with ultra-busy brains, and especially for those of us that may struggle to remove ourselves from everything flying around in there. (Which, I mean, I guess probably includes everyone.) I think this is gonna be gooood!

Meditation Exploration Week 3: Vipassana Meditation | noticeandbreathe.blogspot.com

It seems to me that this practice has a way of simplifying thoughts down to their roots - removing the emotion and energy tied to them so that what's left is as light as air and can float away without effort. Whenever I've worked through an issue in life, I've gone through this same process. So perhaps, the micro version (applying the same process to minor thoughts) could have a profound impact on daily life.

So let's dig into this week's Meditation!

- - - - -

This Week's Type: Vipassana Meditation

A Little Background: Vipassana Meditation (also called Insight Meditation) is a type of Buddhist meditation that helps the practitioner be the observer of their thoughts by organizing them into general categories. This makes thoughts easier to see as what they actually are (insight), and less likely to be held onto (aparigraha).

My Predictions/Initial Thoughts: I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this type of meditation. I have a feeling that it will first feel like a bit of a game to categorize things easily and efficiently to get them off the conveyor belt of thoughts quickly and joyfully. And I hope, that once I settle into it, this will continue into my practice as a way to witness my thoughts for what they really are.

My Game Plan: I'm going to start this week with a guided meditation (gotta love a subtle transition from last week) that explores Vipassana Meditation by Tara Brach. (This one.) It's a bit long, but it's always best to give my mind a foundation to lean into when something is new.

Then, I'm going to practice on my own, around 3/3:30pm each day in the quiet of my bedroom. I'll probably add a little happy ambiance and hang my "do not disturb" sign on the door.

How To Play Along (if you want to): Typically done in a traditional seated posture (but above all else, make sure you are comfortable), and begin by noticing and relaxing the patterns of the breath. Then, as you get into your practice and notice thoughts and feelings arise, sort them into a generalized label and then let them go. (Call sounds “hearing”, feelings “pain” or “feeling”, sort thoughts into “thinking”, “desiring”, “remembering”, call scents “smelling”.) Witness the truth of each thought and feeling, acknowledge them, and release them.

Good luck, and we'll chat on Friday!

Comments