45 pounds of relief.


Life handed me an unexpected change of pace the other day.

I was supposed to get some relief from the every day (my husband was attempting to give me a day off), but when it fell through I was left with this weight I wasn't sure what to do with. The thought of just doing my regularly scheduled stuff suddenly felt heavy. Way heavier than normal.

I paced around my house for a while, trying to figure out what to do with it. Should I just continue on and carry this weight with me? Or should I try to find a way to shed it? Who would I be letting down if I did? How badly will I feel later if I choose that option?

After I considered the answers to those questions (and more... #questioner), I decided that what felt the best in that moment was to pick a daunting room, and clear it out.

I stepped into my bedroom, wanting its peaceful feel back, but when I looked around at everything needing my attention, I got overwhelmed. So I decided to deal with it in a different way than I normally do. I grabbed a huge box and a plastic bag. I put all the garbage and unwanted stuff in the bag, and everything else - everything out of place, needing organized, put away, or dealt with in some other way - went in the box.

This was a really quick and easy process compared to how I normally tackle a room. Getting things OUT was therapeutic - clearing space around me, knowing many of the things were not gone forever, just moving aside to be dealt with at another time, was a perfect way to feel better that day.

I got down on my hands and knees and pulled out toys and garbage and dust bunnies from all the furniture. I vacuumed down cobwebs and filled an entire vacuum canister with the dust of winter. I discovered $1.20 in change. I polished shelves and surfaces as I cleared them. And when I was finished, I was still thinking of this concept of weight and heaviness and wondering how much relief I actually just gave myself. So I grabbed my scale, weighed the bag and the box and a stack of papers, and added it together.

45.1 pounds. Fourty-five+ pounds of relief. And it felt glorious.

Comments